February 1, 2011

Iron and Wine




























Everyone is so afraid of the snow apocalypse, but we haven't got anything besides rain. If it freezes tonight I'm not going to be a happy camper, but there's not much I can do about it.

In reference to the snow (or maybe zombies, I have no idea) I heard my dad say this to my brother: "We are going to have to get a ton of water, cans of soup, ramen noodles, batteries, and 500 bags of brussel sprouts."

Those Wilsons, they are a special clan.

I finished reading Adam by Ted Dekker in two days. I physically could not put down my Kindle. I read until one in the morning last night (or is it this morning?). Ugh, Ted Dekker is a genius. I don't get scared easy, but I had to sleep with my bathroom light on Sunday night.

Here's to you Ted Dekker for creeping out a girl who has watched hundreds of movies hoping to be scared enough to leave the bathroom light on.

Speaking of weather, this Sunday we talked about the bible verses where Jesus tells the weather to stop being ridiculous and behave. I love that thought.

That day when evening came, he said to his disciples, "Let us go over to the other side."

Leaving the crowd behind, they took him along, just as he was, in the boat. There were also other boats with him. A furious storm came up, and the waves broke over the boat, so that it was nearly swamped.

Jesus was in the stern, sleeping on a cushion. The disciples woke him and said to him, "Teacher, don't you care if we drown?" He got up, rebuked the wind and said to the waves, "Quiet! Be still!" Then the wind died down and it was completely calm.

He said to the disciples, "Why are you so afraid? Do you still have no faith?"

They were terrified and asked each other, "Who is this? Even the wind and the waves obey Him!" -Mark 4:35-41

I find it easy to take bible verses I have heard over and over again and write them off. This Sunday I really listened to this one. A few things stood out: "they took him along, just as he was. . .", "rebuked", "Who is this?"

I found these things interesting. What was it about him that taking him just as he was is significant? Why doesn't Jesus command? I find it strange that he rebukes the waves, because rebuking someone does not necessarily mean they are going to follow orders. "Who is this?" doesn't strike me as something that I would be thinking when I watched someone control the weather.

I would probably thing, "How did he do that?" That's just me though. I don't know what that says about me and the disciples.

Oh, I found those photos of those cows I took forever ago. Thought I would make a collage.

No comments:

Post a Comment

keep it classy, folks.