June 26, 2010

That'll take you far in life.

Okay, you must know that this week was IMPACT at my beloved Lipscomb University.
You must also know that it was a grand time, I severly enjoyed it.
And you must know that I am only adding more than one photo because I actually have some time to myself to sit and blog. Good stuff.
These are two of my best friends: Ashley and Rebecca.
We are being sharks while waiting for some festivities to start.

This is Jake Parsley on a carousel because he is special.
I laughed. A lot.
The theme this year was buried.Alive! and it was mainly based on the Beatitudes in the book of Matthew. We talked about the things we bury ourselves in--the things we set our minds on (fame, wants, fears, anger, jealousy etc.) and how we need to bury ourselves and come alive in Christ. We talked about how as Christians we need to die to ourselves to truly live for Christ (trust me, Jeff Walling really stressed the death part...of course.)

It was a really good week of spiritual discussion (especially the small groups with the girls and the people of the youth group!) All of the classes were wonderful, you could really tell that everyone put a lot of heart and thought into it. One of my favorite classes (besides Gary's of course) was Danny Gregg's. His was tiitled "The Meak Ain't Weak" and he talked about how being meak doesn't mean being a doormat. Jesus overturned tables when he saw what his place of worship had been turned into.

Sometimes I find myself in situations where I KNOW I need to say or do things (even get angry) to make sure people know what they are doing could hurt them or someone else physically or emotionally. And, usually wanting to be a peacemaker and let them do it, not wanting a conflict. Thinking that God is JUST happy that I am not helping. Maybe God needs me to overturn some tables everyonce in a while. Maybe people need me to overturn their tables and I'm just standing by watching their lives turned into chaos. Not wanting to anger them or upset them.

But by not stopping or yelling or crying out, am I helping them hurt themselves? Yeah, I think so.
Ugh, it's such a simple thing. Why can't I ever grasp onto the easiest things but dive head-first into the complex things?

Oh, p.s. Rebecca and I applied to Lipscomb!
Ah, I had been waiting for so long.
It felt so good to finally fill out those forms.

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this. Thanks for posting, Melissa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another great post. Always enjoyable!

    ReplyDelete

keep it classy, folks.