September 5, 2010

Once upon a time. . .

Fairy tales are something I've always been latched onto.

When I was little I watched all of the Disney movies. When I got a little older I read the gloomy stories of The Brothers Grimm or Hans Christian Anderson.

I like the dark ones, the ones in other languages and cultures, and the ones that make you feel warm inside. I like happy endings and princes that save the day. I like shadows, things that lurk in the woods, and fauns.

I've always secretly wondered what it would be like to fall into a life like that, an exciting one.

I'm watching Pan's Labyrinth right now.

I don't get disturbed easily. It really does take a lot.

I watch scary movies like they are going out of style.

But, something about Pan's Labyrinth haunts me and stirs up that feeling of wanting to be apart of an adventure. This movie is in no way a happy one. It's dark, cryptic, murderous, and creepy. The ending is death.

So why is it that I can't get enough? What is it about me that grabs onto these stories and holds on for dear life?

I read a book called Captivating a year or so ago. It's by Stasi Eldredge, the wife of the popular author, John Eldredge.

I remember that she wrote about how a woman is driven by three needs: the need to be romanced, the need to unveil beauty, and the need to be a part of a great adventure.

Is this true? Is this the adventure-some part of me?

The part of me that drives my need to travel and explore? Is this the part of me that drives my desire to do missionary work?

It's funny how fairy tales and real life adventures are so different. How to me right now, my dragon that I am battling is high school. My prince coming to save me is Lipscomb University. My crown is my camera. My evil step-mother really kind of was my evil step-mother. And, instead of singing to animals. . .I sing in the car.

It's just funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment

keep it classy, folks.